Thursday, December 15, 2011

My Tongue Will Tell the Anger of My Heart


I am not an angry person.

On a scale of:   "How often to you feel angry?"
  • never 
  • almost never
  • sometimes
  • almost always
  • always
I would rate myself an "almost never." I am usually very passive. I don't get involved in arguments or fuel drama. I don't pay too much attention to things that bother me. I try to ignore negative subjects and focus on the positive side. But, recently I feel like this is impossible. There are too many things messed up in this world to ignore. Too many people suffering, too many injustices happening. I can no longer sit comfortably knowing these things; seeing these things happening. I feel like there has to be something I can do to make it right. This is so blatantly wrong... how could I not do anything?

First, I want to know if I'm alone in this. I am the only one who feels this way? Or I am just the only one who realizes it; that realizes how messed up these things are? I'm asking all of you to enlighten yourselves.

While reading this list - pay attention to how it makes you feel. And please, share with me those feelings. Thank you.




The 2012 Defense Authorization Bill 
 The legislation would deny suspected terrorists, even U.S. citizens seized within the nation's borders, the right to trial and subject them to indefinite detention. The bill was drafted in secret by Sens. Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.) and passed in a closed-door committee meeting, without even a single hearing.

Hello!!! Did we not all learn about the Salem Witch Trials while we were in school? We cannot allow fear to control us! This law would allow anyone to point at you and say "TERRORIST" and then off you'd go to Guantanamo Bay. NO evidence. NO trial. NO rights. And this bill as already passed
Messed up, right?

SIGN THE PETITION:


READ MORE ABOUT IT:

hey guys i'm just gonna lean on you while you make-out. okay?
Overly Sexual Advertising
Hey, Hollister! I thought you sold clothes. I don't see any clothes in this picture!

 or this one...
 Nope. No clothes. Why is every product sold always sold with sex? Clothing stores are one thing, but how do you explain this?
a purse
cologne
a camera
organ donation

It's not only that it targets impressionable young people, or that it directly insults our intelligence, or that it objectifies women... It just plain makes me uncomfortable! 
Messed up, right?





Senate Bill 732
Requires abortion providers to meet the standards of ambulatory surgery centers — passed out of the chamber and will be sent on to Gov. Tom Corbett to be signed into law. This law will make it more difficult for the average woman to seek prenatal health-care and/or abortions. The costs will drive most, if not all, independent abortion clinics out of business meaning that if you choose to have an abortion you have the option of an expensive hospital or dangerous illegal clinic.

How is it that a bunch of old, white men can decide "what is right" for young women? I don't vote in every election so that some asshole can decide to take away my rights. If a young woman becomes pregnant she has the right to choose. I believe that choice directly effects not only her future but her generation's future and the world we live in. There is a theory proposed by Freakonomics writer Steven Levitt where he says less unwanted children being born means less crime.
 
I can't help but agree with him. And the fact that these lawmakers are fighting to take this right away so quickly, being it was only passed in the 1970's - it just doesn't make sense. This isn't the only thing the government is pursuing to hurt young women. States across America are cutting funding or limiting services for Planned Parenthood. I have been going to my local Planned Parenthood since I was in High School! When I was younger, it was awkward talking to my parents about anything, let alone sex! I went to Planned Parenthood for guidance and advice. Later, when I was ready to have sex I returned for condoms (because it was way to embarrassing to buy them at CVS.) I went to them the day after my boyfriend pressured me into having unprotected sex for the "Morning After Pill" and they gave my Plan B free of charge. At 18, I no longer was eligible for health care from the state, so where did I go for my exam? Planned Parenthood. And where did I receive a free STD test? Planned Parenthood. And where did I learn about with Women's Plan which allows me to get free birth control from the state? Planned Parenthood. And where do I still go today to get safe, reliable, and free yearly exams? Planned fucking Parenthood. And the government wants to cut their funding? 
Messed up, right?

READ MORE ABOUT IT:

As not to totally depress you, that is all I have for now. Please, share with me your thoughts and feelings.
“The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.”  - Gloria Steinem

Love,
Sarah J

No comments:

Post a Comment